We believe in the strength of diversity in all its forms, because inclusion of and respect for diverse people, experiences, and ideas lead to superior solutions to world challenges and advances chemistry as a global, multidisciplinary science.
We are committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect (DEIR); identifying and dismantling barriers to success; and creating a welcoming and supportive environment so that all ACS members, employees, and volunteers can thrive.
ACS Publications’ Diversity Action Commitment
At ACS Publications, we are committed to developing, implementing, tracking, and reporting on our progress to ensure that our editors, advisors, reviewers, and authors are more diverse and that all authors receive the same fair treatment and opportunity to publish in our journals. We acknowledge that we do not have all the answers now, but we seek to hear from and listen to our community on how we can improve our journals to be more diverse and inclusive.
As first steps, we commit to taking the following actions:
- Gathering and making public our baseline statistics on diversity within our journals, encompassing our editors, advisors, reviewers, and authors; annually reporting on progress.
- Training new and existing editors to recognize and interrupt bias in peer review
- Including diversity of journal contributors as an explicit measurement of Editor-in-Chief performance
- Appointing an ombudsperson to serve as a liaison between Editors and our Community
- Developing an actionable diversity plan for each ACS journal
For more on these commitments, please read our joint editorial on behalf of all Editors, Staff, and Governance Members, published in June 2020.
Progress on Our Commitments
DEIR Commitments in Action
Through editorials, special issues, virtual content collections, and our programs and services, we seek to support the examination of and facilitate conversation around topics that advance DEIR in the chemical sciences.
- Equity and Inclusion in the Chemical Sciences Requires Actions not Just Words
- Let Us Together Shine a Light on Women in STEM
- Quality Research in Africa and Why It Is Important
- Gender Diversity in Process Chemistry
- Changing the Culture of Chemistry: LGBTQ+ Diversity in the Lab webinar
- Organic Chemistry: A Call to Action for Diversity and Inclusion
- Working toward diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Respect (DEIR) in the Chemistry Community
- Shaping the Future of Higher Education: Practical, Community-Driven Initiatives to Improve Academic Climate
- A Reflection on Juneteenth and the Diversity of Our Chemical Neuroscience Community
- Black Scientists Are Not the Door to Diversity
- Analytical Chemistry's Diversity & Inclusion Cover Art Series
- Women in Organic Chemistry
- Chemistry from Latin America
- Chemistry in Africa: Open and Global
- Inorganic Young Investigators
- Journal of the American Chemical Society Young Investigators
- Women at the Forefront of Chemistry
- C&EN’s Meet the Amazing Women of Chemistry
- Celebrating Women in the Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Women Scientists at the Forefront of Energy Research
- Sensors Around the World: Asia-Pacific
- Rising Stars in Proteomics and Metabolomics: 40 under 40
- Women in Mass Spectrometry
- Chemistry in Korea: IBS and Beyond
- Celebrating Organic Chemistry in France
- Rising Stars in Sensing
ACS Publications' Name Change Policy
The Author Name Change Policy recognizes that authors may change their names for many reasons, including - but not limited to – gender identity, marriage, divorce, or religious conversion. We respect that there may be sensitivities surrounding name changes and wish to reduce or remove any barriers to inclusion, professional mobility, and author credit.
ACS Author Lab
ACS Author Lab is an online course that empowers authors to prepare and submit strong manuscripts, avoiding errors that could lead to delays in the publication process.
ACS Reviewer Lab
ACS Reviewer Lab is a free online course that covers all key aspects of peer review, including the assessment of manuscript, tips for writing your review, and the ethical considerations inherent to the process.
ACS Authoring Services
Increase the quality of your manuscript with editing, translation, manuscript formatting, and figure services at your fingertips.
In this new video series from ACS Publications, hear from our editor community on tips for scientific writing, securing funding, rejection, and much more.
Interested in learning more about diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect at the ACS? Visit the ACS DEIR Resources and Information Hub.
We want to hear from you. Share your ideas about how we can improve our journals to be more diverse, equitable, and inclusive: Community Feedback Form
Collectively, we can accelerate change and advance issues of diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect. ACS Publications is partnering with other publishing organizations to address these issues across scholarly publishing: